+48 22 490 20 44 Help for foreigners living in Poland

Temporary residence permit for the purpose of research

This type of temporary residence permit may be granted to a scientist, i.e., a foreigner who has at least a professional title corresponding in Poland to the professional title of master's degree or its equivalent, which enables them to apply for a doctoral degree, whose purpose of stay in Poland is to conduct scientific research or development work in a research unit based in Poland and approved by the minister responsible for internal affairs.

Note! The permit for the purpose of conducting scientific research is granted for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of the foreigner's stay on the territory of Poland (for a period longer than 3 months and a maximum of 3 years).


In the case of a temporary residence for the purpose of research, in addition to the basic documents referred to in the TEMPORARY RESIDENCE - GENERAL INFORMATION tab, the foreigner must also submit:

- an agreement on the admission of a scientist for the purpose of conducting scientific research or development work concluded with a research unit based on the territory of the Republic of Poland;

Note! The list of approved units is available here: https://www.gov.pl/web/mswia/zloz-wniosek-o-zatwierdzanie-jednostki-lub-organizatora-strazu-na-potrzeby-przyjmowania-cudzoziemcow.

 - a written declaration of the scientific unit which undertakes to bear the costs related to the issuance and execution of the decision obliging the foreigner to return;

- documents confirming that the foreigner has sufficient funds to cover their costs of living in Poland and return travel to the country of origin or residence, and the costs of residence;

- documents indicating the cost of living, it should contain information on the amount of fixed operating fees, charges for the delivery of energy, gas, water, sewage, waste and liquid waste to the premises (e.g., a lease agreement with the latest gas, electricity and electricity bill, administrative rent);

- documents confirming health insurance or confirmation that the insurer covers the costs of treatment on the territory of the Republic of Poland


Note! The above list cannot be considered complete. The set of documents necessary to obtain a temporary residence permit for the purpose of educational studies may differ due to the given foreigner's situation and the office where the foreigner applies for the permanent residence permit.

Rate us

Please add 8 and 7.