Homepage FAQ Schengen Information System (SIS)

Schengen Information System (SIS)Print

Can a foreigner check whether he is entered in the SIS?

Every person is entitled to obtain exhaustive information concerning his personal data which are processed in databases.

A foreigner or an attorney appointed in a case may also apply to the Head of the Office for Foreigners for:

  1. providing information on the entering of personal data of a foreigner into the list or the Schengen Information System;
  2. correction of personal data entered into the list or in the Schengen Information System if he finds that they are incorrect;
  3. deletion of his personal data from the list or the Schengen Information System if they were entered there in error.

The appointment of an attorney does not have to take the form of a notarial deed. It may be drafted by hand and it should include the name of the principal (i.e. the person appointing the attorney), a full address with the principal’s postal code, date and place of birth, the scope of activities which the attorney is authorized to act in, the address of the attorney residing in Poland, the number and name of the identity document a certified photocopy of which shall be attached to the application, the applicant's signature. Sample proxies are available at: http://www.udsc.gov.pl/WNIOSEK,DOTYCZACY,,INFORMACJI,Z,WYKAZU,1395.html

In order to obtain the above information, one should apply to the Head of the Office for Foreigners with a written request drafted in Polish, including:

- full personal data: name, surname, previous surnames,

- date of birth,

- place of residence,

- precisely specified request,

- authentic signature.

A photocopy of an identity document can be attached to the application (e.g. passport).

Issuing a certificate is subject to the payment of a stamp duty. The amount of the stamp duty is PLN 17.

Please send the documents to the following address:

Urząd do Spraw Cudzoziemców [Office for Foreigners]

Departament Legalizacji Pobytu [Department for Legalization of Stay]

Wydział Wykazu Cudzoziemców [Division of Foreigners’ Register]

ul. Koszykowa 16

02-564 Warszawa

or submit at the registry office in the premises of the Office at Koszykowa 16, between 8:15 a.m. and 4 p.m.

I am staying in Poland without a valid visa or a valid residence card. Can I legalise my stay in Poland based on the fact that I work here?

Unfortunately, the possibilities to legalise the stay of a person who is staying in Poland without a valid residence document are very limited. Basing on the presented information, it seems that the only way for you to legalise your stay based on the fact that you work in Poland is to leave for your home country. If you do so, at the Polish border you will receive a decision obliging you to leave Poland, with a specified period during which you will be forbidden to enter Poland. The minimum period for which such a ban can be issued is 6 months, and the maximum is 5 years. If you comply with the decision obliging you to leave Poland in time, then you may file an application to the Chief of the Border Guard Department who issued the decision forbidding you to enter Poland to withdraw this decision. If no circumstances exist that would make the withdrawal of the decision impossible (such circumstances may for example consist in the fact that the foreigner constitutes a threat to the safety of Poland), then the Border Guard Service will withdraw the decision. The procedure for withdrawal of the decision forbidding you to enter Poland may last from one to several months, depending on the individual situation of the given foreigner. In the event the decision is withdrawn, you will be able to apply for a visa at a Polish consulate. Then, after arriving in Poland pursuant to the visa, you will also be able to apply for a residence permit for a fixed period based on the performed work.

If you decide to leave Poland, we encourage you to familiarise yourself with the Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration Programme->