Marriage to a Polish citizen abroadPrint

If a foreigner plans to legalize his stay in Poland on the basis of marriage to a Polish citizen abroad, he should remember to register the marriage in Poland at the USC competent for his place of residence, confirmed by the appropriate official document. USC addresses are available here ->

In order to register a marriage concluded abroad, you must submit an application to the USC asking for the foreign marriage certificate to entered into into Polish civil status records, and attach the following documents to the application:

  • a copy of the civil status records (certificates) drawn up abroad with a sworn translation into Polish made ​​by a sworn translator  from the list published on the website of the Ministry of Justice or the consul of the Republic of Poland;
  • identity cards or passports of the spouses;
  • if the foreign act does not contain all of the data required of such acts by Polish law, it is possible to supplement it on the basis of copies of birth certificates of the spouses (in each case of submission of foreign documents that are to be used as the basis of an entry into the Polish civil status register, you must submit them along with a sworn translation - as described in the previous point);
  • proof of payment of stamp duty.


 In the case of registration of a foreign civil status act in the Polish Civil Registry Office, the stamp duty is 50 PLN, while for supplementing the document it is 39 PLN.

Attention: Information on the names of spouses and children born of the marriage is entered into the civil register act completed on the basis of the foreign documents. If this data are not included in the foreign act, the information is included on the basis of other documents.

Attention: Only Polish citizens may get married in a Polish consulate abroad.