Birth registrationPrint

Every child born in Poland (regardless of the nationality of their parents) must be registered in the Civil Registry Office. The birth of a child must be reported within 14 days of the date of birth in the Civil Registry Office having jurisdiction over the place of birth of the child. If none of the parents of the child resides on the territory for which the Registry Office competent for the place of birth of the child is also competent, the birth notification may be made at the USC having jurisdiction over the place of residence of both or one of the parents. The Director of the USC shall, in this case, draw up a protocol of birth notification and send it to the appropriate Registry Office to draw up a final birth certificate.

Documents necessary for the preparation of a birth notification:

    1. a written statement of birth issued by a doctor, midwife or health care facility;
    2. abridged copy of the marriage certificate if the child's parents are married;
    3. birth certificate of the mother, marriage certificate with an entry noting divorce, an abridged copy of the death certificate of the spouse - if the child's mother issingle, divorced or widowed, respectively.

When notifying of a child’s birth, parents choose the name for their child (or names - maximum 2). If the parents do not make a choice of name during the preparation of the birth certificate, the Director of the USC shall enter one of the names commonly used in the country onto the certificate. Within 6 months from the date of the completion of the birth certificate the parents may make a declaration to the Director of the Registry Office changing the child's name entered in the act at the time of its preparation, after paying a stamp duty of 11 PLN.
If the child will have citizenship other than Polish, the birth certificate is an essential document for legalization of residence of the child in Poland (for example, when applying for a residence permit for a fixed period for the child).

After the birth certificate is drawn up the parents can retrieve duplicates of it.

 If the case relates to a child born outside of wedlock and no recognition (acknowledgment) of paternity of the child takes place, in the course of preparation of the birth certificate the mother’s surname at the time of the child’s birth is entered as the child's surname, as the father’s surname and as the child’s family name, and the name of the father is entered as the name stated by the mother of the child. If the biological father of the child recognizes (acknowledges) paternity, the child bears the name indicated by both parents in a statement made jointly. This may be the surname of the father or the mother, or a surname consisting of the surnames of both parents.